Wednesday, March 19, 2008

We Live in a Musical


Several of Andrew's nursery teachers have commented on how much he likes to sing. They have no idea.

In a typical day, we go through several of the following conversations:

Jen: Andrew, look at the ducks!


Andrew: (Looks at ducks.) There's a song about ducks. ... Should we sing it?

I then proceed to start to sing the songs I know about ducks until I get to the one he was thinking of. This time it's "Five little ducks went out to play."

Another example:

Jen: Andrew, let's hurry to the car. It's raining.


Andrew: There's a song about it's raining. ... Should we sing it? (Proceeds to sing "It's raining, it's pouring.")

As it turns out, there is a song about everything... and we should sing it.

Recently I came in the kitchen to find Andrew playing with one of those corn-on-the-cob holders with the two sharp prongs.


Jen: Andrew, please put that away because it is too pokey and it could hurt you.

There's a song about pokey, I think to myself, amused. I refrain from suggesting it, especially because I don't think he knows it.

He comes into the room a few minutes later...

Andrew: "You put your right hand in. You put your right hand out."

So, we live in a musical.

There is a song about everything.

And we should sing it.

7 comments:

Heather M said...

That is too adorable. I love a home filled with music. I need to get a copy of Andrew's list of songs!
Abigail does something similar, we will be out and she will ask me to sing songs about various things she sees. For example, butterflies, car door handles, stop lights, etc. I spend a good portion of our driving time making up songs for her to enjoy. She loves listening to my made-up songs.

Jenny said...

I'm totally with Andrew. Life should be a musical. Unfortunately, I strained my voice singing in The Messiah last night and I can't sing right now. Very sad!

Rebecca said...

So cute. Andrew is totally awesome. My kids love to sing too but usually only their own made up songs. Once in awhile I'd like them to sing real songs that I know the words to. How else can I sing it too?

D&E said...

It's like freshman year. We sang a song for everything.

(hee hee hee)

Kristen Crockett said...

In a few years he'll be ready for advanced musicals, when you rewrite the words. Anybody remember "Hello Elisa" for Dave Geilman?

Rachel D said...

Too cute! I'm with Andrew. Sing your little heart out, kiddo!

Britain said...

Very nice blog, Jen. Thanks for the invite. I love the picture at the top of this blog. I wake my kids each morning with "Good, Morning" from "Singing in the Rain". That is how my father used to wake me and my sister up too. Very fun. Cute Andrew.