Saturday, February 9, 2008

New Rule


Yesterday afternoon I was working on my church calling at our dining table. Emily was crawling on the floor below me. I did a quick visual to reassure myself that no choking hazards where on the floor and went back to work. That's when I heard Emily shriek and burst into tears.

Bewildered as to what the problem could be I looked over to see Emily--knees on the floor but otherwise upright, mouth open and full of powder. Not surprisingly, Andrew was close by. He was kneeling on the chair above her with a spoonful of said powder in one hand and a cup in the other.

That's when I remembered the question he had asked me moments earlier. "Mommy, what's this?" He had held up a sample of the baby cereal I had picked up at the pediatrician's office recently. "That's baby cereal," I had replied. "It's for Emily." He had looked satisfied.

Satisfied enough to try it out, I guess. He had offered her a spoonful of it with NO WATER. JUST POWDER.


Poor girl! It had gagged her and she was crying and coughing. I quickly rescued her and disciplined Andrew. It gave me a scare for several reasons but ultimately because I thought I had been watching them closely enough.
There is a new rule in our house. Whenever Andrew asks "What's this?" the response should end with "And that is only for Mommy and Daddy to use. Not Andrew."

Two minutes later:


Andrew back at it immediately after his time out.

1 comment:

Rachel D said...

Love this! I've had many a mother - after hearing some of Brighton's antics - say somthing to the effect of, "Why don't you just tell him 'no'?" But these little guys are just curious and busy and helpful (feeding Emily her cereal). They keep us on our toes but they sure are fun!