
In June 2006, Garry and I celebrated our anniversary with a trip to Southern Oregon. In addition to a memorable drive to and from Crater Lake (coasting down the highway back to Roseburg in our failing Nissan), we spent a lovely afternoon at the Medford Oregon Temple. It was our first visit to one of the smaller scale temples built in recent years as directed by President Gordon B. Hinckley, the late prophet of my church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) who passed away this past Sunday. We attend the broadcast of his funeral services tomorrow.
Attending the temple is always an uplifting experience for me but this trip was particularly memorable. The volunteers at the temple knew we were visiting from out of town and went out of their way to show us the temple and give us special opportunities to worship there. I felt particularly grateful to my Heavenly Father for the blessing of eternal families during that visit. I often reflect on that experience. The blessing of being able to attend the temples almost anywhere I go is one of the ways in which President Hinckley's leadership has impacted my life.

When I attended the broadcast of the dedication of the Nauvoo Temple in June 2002, President Hinckley mentioned in his address that he knew that he was advancing in years and that his time was limited. I was emotional as he spoke; most everyone in the congregation was as well. The membership of the church loved President Hinckely because he served to his fullest capacity to strengthen the church on many fronts. We are all blessed as a result of his efforts.
We will miss you, President Hinckley.
I am glad you are back with your Marjorie.
No comments:
Post a Comment