Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Rook

Tomorrow I'm buying tickets to go to San Diego in July. I'm excited for some nice weather, a day on a warm beach (in Oregon we call it The Coast, not The Beach), and a day at the San Diego Temple. But, the highlight will be meeting up with seven women from my BYU Freshman Ward.

We all lived in T-Hall at Deseret Towers back when there was a Deseret Towers.

For their benefit, I've posted some pics and this item of memorabilia from our college years together. (Can't believe I found this Rook card from our Freshman year...that we all signed it and that I saved it!)


Last time I've seen or heard from*:
  • Deborah A.: around 2000 sometime in Provo; she moved to the Bay Area; I moved to Portland. We exchanged wedding announcements a couple years later. (Heard she was dating Eric through a friend before that.)

  • Kristen C.: maybe 1998, Provo? Then I heard she moved to the Bay Area and then that she was married (through Deborah).

  • Jenny B.: I'm guessing sometime in 1995 after she finished BYU (I remember we had Physical Science together the semester she got married.)
  • Maria C.: 1994? I disctinctly remember going to her bridal shower. :) She married another good friend from our ward, Jonathan.
  • Kristen A.: 2002--Paul, Kristen and their family visited Garry and I shortly after we got married. I also had the opportunity to visit her in Boston several times after BYU while traveling for work and with Kristen L. on a girls' trip in 1995.

  • Kristen L.: 2004--Abe and Kristen came up to Oregon to visit. Both Pres. Bush and John Kerry were in town campaigning and there was an air show right over our house. We showed them that Oregon is a happening place to live. Actually, I saw her in SLC after that--before she moved to AZ.

  • Michelle G.: 2007--Michelle has visited Oregon once a year since she moved from here in 2003. I loved having her in Portland.

Despite how long it has been, I think of them often whether it be a memory of a funny experience we shared or just wondering what they are up to now.

I'm looking forward to San Diego!

*All dates are estimates.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow--a lot of money spent on perms back in the day

Jenny said...

That Rook Card! Can't believe you still have it. It's fun to see everyone's names on it. I think we'll need a late night tournament this summer! Love the pictures!

Rebecca said...

Oh how I remember those styles...and cringe at my own bad perms. I am so jealous that you are getting together with your old college friends. I totally wish I could get my old BYU buddies together.

N. Tipps said...

Wow! I had a really hard time finding you in those pictures! Love your hair! ;)

D&E said...

I laughed at the rook. So funny!

Yeah, love our hair.

Deborah

Mandee said...

This is great!! I love reading your blogs! ...I want a perm (really)

Oh, who made the Jen&Garry's thing?